Music Therapy Services
Since 2003, music therapy has been an integral part of the care offered to patients in Cancer Care. By nature, music brings beauty and hope. The diversity and depth of music makes it a significant means by which to address physical, psychosocial, and spiritual needs.
Using a variety of interventions involving various instruments and music, the music therapist aims to;
- Promote relaxation and decrease anxiety
- Aid the control of symptoms associated with chemotherapy treatments, such as fatigue, insomnia, physical pain and nausea.
- Support emotional and creative expression
- Promote a sense of well being and pleasure
- Bring loved ones together and support family members
Music therapy service is offered to all patients at the Cancer Care Day Center. Depending on individual needs and interests, patients may engage in music therapy through:
- Visualizing, breathing and relaxing with music
- Singing, songwriting and improvising on simple instruments
- Choosing and listening to significant music
- Discussing feelings or memories evoked by the music
The main goals are to promote comfort, help patients and families express that which is meaningful to them, and to improve quality of life. In this sense, the music therapist works closely with members of the multidisciplinary team.
The music therapist works Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and would be pleased to meet with you;